Callanetics Part 2: Abdominal Exercises
September 27, 2021
These abdominal exercises are not nearly as well known as they seem at first glance. It is important that you follow them exactly according to the instructions, then you will feel every movement of the abdominal muscle.
The deeper the working muscles are located under the layer of fat, the less you will be able to do in the beginning. The main thing is not to be discouraged. With time, you’ll be able to do everything with ease.
Exercise 7 – Abdominal Exercise
- Lie quietly on the floor with your legs bent at the knees and slightly apart.
- Press down firmly on your back to the floor. Grasp the inside of your thighs with your palms and push them away from you.
- Raising your head forward, lift your shoulders off the floor. At the same time, make sure that part of the spine – from the shoulder blades down – is snug against the floor.
- In this position, move the upper body back 10-15 cm. Movements should be free and slow. The head is directed upwards all the time.
- Do this three times and rest while lying down.
Exercise 8 – Abdominal Exercise
- Lie on the floor in the same position. Raise both legs 10-15 cm above the floor.
- Raise your shoulders and head, guiding your straightened leg perpendicular to the ceiling.
- If you can, keep your leg upright without using your hands.
- Stretch your arms in front of you, as if you want them to be several centimeters longer.
- Remember to keep your lower back and buttocks close to the floor.
Exercise 9 – Abdominal Exercise
- Again in the same lying position, raise both legs. Grasp them and pull your head and shoulders towards your knees.
- Now lower your legs, and keeping your arms outstretched as far as possible, gently swing your upper body – 6 inches forward and the same amount back.
- Perform 100 times.
- If you have weak legs, you can bend your knees.
Exercise 10 – Abdominal Exercise
- This is a variation of exercise 9 for those who find it difficult to keep their legs up, which happens at first.
Return to the main Callanetics page.